Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) – 8 Week Class
A class format can be a powerful way to learn new skills and transform old patterns that no longer work for you, whether you are dealing with depression, anxiety or eating patterns. A series of classes can provide a safe and economical alternative to individual counseling.
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy is a research proven program that was created for individuals who experience repeated bouts of depression. MBCT is an innovative self-management approach, found to bolster recovery and significantly prevent relapse from recurrent depression. In recent studies MBCT was found to be as effective as a traditional antidepressants regime and reduced the relapse rate of depression by 50% in individuals with three or more episodes of clinical depression.
Studies suggest that MBCT can be beneficial to individuals with a range of psychological problems including depression, anxiety and shyness.
The MBCT program is modeled on the well-known Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program developed by Dr. Jon Kabat Zinn, but includes information about depression and anxiety as well as Cognitive Therapy based exercises.
- Low self-worth
- Habitual self-criticism
- Professional burnout
- Low motivation and procrastination
- Poor body image
- Emotional distress
- Chronic illness or cancer recovery
MBCT is a specific eight consecutive week psycho-educational program lasting two hours with one additional five-hour class. This practical series of classes includes the instruction in mindfulness meditation, gentle yoga and attentional skill building exercises. Classes are taught in a casual, supportive, and experiential format.
What will you learn?
- How to “respond” rather then “react” to events, emotions and thoughts
- Effective ways to work with fear (real and imagined), worry, sadness and other emotions
- Skills to help you step out of avoidance and into a more satisfying life
- Practical ways to recognize negative mental habits that cause a downward spiral in mood
- Ways to enhance self esteem and lessen self judgement
- Learn the “how” of taking care of your self and experience a greater sense of balance
The enrollment fee includes: 24 hours of instruction, experiential exercises, workbook, meditation instruction, home practices, retreat and other practice tools.
Please ask for payments if needed and individual insurance plans may reimburse for the course.